- Grow more trees/vegetation as it can hold
the soil together
- Listen to radio/Watch TV/Read newspaper
for any alerts.
- Keep drains clean, weep holes open. Do not
change the natural drainage system.
- Do not place debris, waste or fill material
on a steep slope.
- Watch out for any warning signs such as
subsidence of building, cracks on rocks,
muddy river water.
- Do not construct near steep slopes and
- Store emergency supplies of food and
water, flashlights, batteries and medicine
- Keep a ‘disaster kit’ with essential identity
- Ignore rumours. Stay calm. Don’t panic
- Stay together with your companions
- Landslide debris moves from uphill to
downhill. You should, therefore, avoid lowlying areas or valleys.
- If you notice any warning signs such as
unusual sounds like trees cracking or
boulders knocking together
- Move away from landslip path or
downstream valley quickly;
- Informnearest Tehsil/DistrictHQ/Disaster
- Do not touch/walk over loose material and
electrical wires or poles
- Move away from landslip path and
downstream valley quickly
- Check for injured and trapped persons.
- Do not move an injured person without
rendering first aid unless he/she is in
- Do not drink contaminated water directly
from rivers springs, wells, etc.
- Locate the nearest public shelter
- Stay away from the slide area. There may
be a danger of additional slides.
- Re-plant damaged ground as soon as
possible. Erosion caused by loss of ground
cover can lead to flash flooding
- Stay away from the location until the
emergency workers and the experts
confirm that it is safe.