- Prepare an emergency kit with essential
items for safety and survival.
- Secure your house; carry out repairs; don’t
leave sharp objects loose.
- Secure outside objects that could blow
away and cause damage.
- Remove rotting trees/broken branches that
could fall and cause injury or damage.
- Listen to radio, watch TV or read
newspapers for weather updates and
- Keep a watch on local weather updates and
- Try to stay indoors; stay off verandas.
- Unplug all electrical equipment. Don’t
use corded telephones. Use your batteryoperated radio for news updates.
- Don’t touch plumbing and metal pipes. Do
not use running water.
- Stay away from structures with tin roofs/
- Don’t take shelter near/under trees
- Stay put if you are inside a car/bus/covered
- Don’t use metallic objects; stay away from
- Get out of water - pools, lakes, small boats
on water bodies - and take safe shelter
- Remember, rubber-soled shoes and rubber
tyres provide NO protection from lightning
- Avoid rubbing your eyes in order to prevent
eye infection, which is common during this
- Apply a small amount of petroleum jelly to
the inside of the nostrils to prevent drying
of your mucous membranes.
- Stay away from storm-damaged areas.
- Listen to local radio/TV stations for
updated information or instructions on
weather and traffic updates.
- Help children, women, elderly and
- Stay away from fallen trees/power lines
and report them to nearest Tehsil/District
- Designate a safe area in or near your
house to shelter your animals in a severe
- Keep your animals away from open water,
pond or river.
- Keep your animals away from tractors and
other metal farm equipment.
- Don’t allow your animals to congregate
- Watch your animals closely and try to keep
them under your direct control.