- Home /
- Urban Floods
- Keep drains clean - Do not litter waste,
plastic bags, plastic bottles in drains.
- Remainsafe inside - Try to be athome ifhigh
tide and heavy rains occur simultaneously.
- Be informed/be alert - Listen to radio,
watch TV or read newspapers for weather
updates and flood warnings
- Survival is key - Prepare an emergency kit
with essential items for safety and survival.
- Keep your documents and valuables in
- Do not venture into flood water
- Do not spread and/ or believe in rumours.
- Ensure safety - Turn off power and gas
connection; be alert for gas leaks.
- Respond quickly - Evacuate low-lying areas
and move to higher places.
- Evade illness - Drink boiled/chlorinated
- Watch your step - Stay away from sewerage
lines, gutters, sharp objects and debris.
- Don’t get electrocuted - Stay away from
electric poles and fallen power lines to
- Don’t walk/swim through flowing water
- Don’t drive through flooded areas.
- Don’t eat food that has come into contact
with flood water
- Don’t use any damaged electrical goods.
- Don’t use electrical equipment while
standing on wet floors, especially concrete.